We had the follow up appointment today. I think it went well and I’m ready to tackle this next round. We decided to start up again in July because my parents are coming to visit in June (they’ll likely be here for a stims in July. That’ll be nice for them to experience the process. I’ll make them do my shots lol) and then I also have 5 days of PTO that I need to take before they expire at the end of June. We’re still not sure where to go. I want to go somewhere up north (Maine/New Hampshire) that’s quiet and secluded. Maybe near a lake. Just the two of us. Do any of you perhaps have any recommendations?
I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a second opinion. I’m still on the fence. This appointment went so well and I really do trust my RE. The only other person that has been recommended to me is another RE at the same clinic but I’m having a serious attack of conscience re: not wanting to hurt my RE’s feelings. How ridiculous is that? I really love my clinic so don’t want to switch anyway so this new RE has been at the back of my mind for a few days. Also, N isn’t keen on leaving our RE just yet either. He believes in him. So I’ve decided to stick with Dr G just one more round. Especially after today’s appointment. And if I change my mind after doing some reading and getting opinions I’ll have most of June to get a second opinion. Anyway, onto the appointment. I’ll do bullet points like I did with everyone else.
1. We’re going to do the Microdose Lupron Flare protocol
. Or Microflare or Flare or whatever. He said he’s taking the gloves off and wants to try to get 18-20 eggs out of me. I’m excited about the prospect of getting that many eggs but let’s see what happens. I’m not going to get my hopes up too high. I thought he was pushing my E2 before at around 2000+ but he said we can go up to 5000 since we’re doing a freeze all. Whoop! In the past I haven’t felt too many crazy symptoms from stimming but I think I should prepare myself for crazy town. Now I haven’t read much about this protocol so if anyone has done this or knows someone who has, do you have any information please?
2. I did repeat bloods last weekend and all my results fell within normal range. I did, however, notice my antral follicle count was only 10. That bummed me out. But he said that my TSH came back at 2.66 and they want it at 2.5 or below. He said any other doctor wouldn’t give this another thought but since we’re trying to get pregnant he’d rather it be within range. They tested again today and if it’s still above 2.5 then I’ll get some meds during stims to help. Again, I know nothing about thyroid stuff. I wonder if my shitty diet has something to do with it.
3. He did bring up donor sperm. He said it’s going to be harder for us because of my sub-par eggs and N’s sperm but he’ll only seriously suggest donor sperm if we’re sick of all these failures. But if we’re in it for the long haul then so is he but he has to let us know that donor sperm is an option. I’m not opposed to any donor of any kind but I’d like to exhaust all our options first.
4. I can’t remember why we did this but he tested me for Fragile X today as well. I think it has something to do with embryo or egg quality and Fragile X being a reason. I’m not sure but we tested for it anyway.
5. I asked him about clomid for N to get his count up and he said he’s not opposed to it but N would have to get a prescription from a urologist. We’ll set that appointment up soon. Another reason to take a break. I have a feeling clomid only works after 3 months but let’s see what a urologist says.
6. I asked about PICSI an he sent and email to the embryologist for their opinion. I’m going to push for this. I read that it only increases live pregnancy rates by 15% but it’s 15% we didn’t have before.
7. And lastly, my pesky little cyst is a non-issue. Yay!
And there you have it. I’m excited for round 4 but I’m also excited for the break. Work is going to be pumping since it’s the end of the school year, so I’m glad there’s no IVF to distract me. I feel like it’s going to be over in a blink so that’s even more exciting.
Today I feel good about this appointment. I feel good about this protocol. I feel good about taking a break. I feel good about N being eager to try clomid (or anything for that matter).
I feel good.
27 thoughts on “Plans for Round 4”
I remember saying to my counselor how annoyed I was that we didn’t get a second opinion sooner, and her response was that we weren’t ready and so it wouldn’t have been the right thing to do at the time for us. And I think she’s right on with that comment. I think it’s important to trust your gut, and if you gut says to give your RE another try, then it’s the right thing to do. And when your gut says it’s time for another opinion, then it’s time. And hopefully this next round works so you don’t have to get another opinion! 🙂
I love your therapist :). I do feel like sticking with him is the right decision for now. xx
Sounds very productive! Excited for you & hoping 4th time is a charm.
I felt the same way about getting a second opinion–didnt want to hurt my REs feelings, hubby liked RE, I trusted RE, etc. In the end, I did get a second opinion, and it made me realize all the more how much I loved my RE and wanted to continue treatment with her.
That makes me feel better about how I was feeling. I thought I was being silly. I want him to be our forever doctor (lol) but I also don’t want to keep failing.
I’m glad you have a plan going forward, and that you’re going to be changing things up for both of you. I hope that your break helps to give you a mental boost, and helps you get other things in order as well. Wishing you luck when you get started again!!
Thank you! I’m really looking forward to this break.
Wishing you guys the best of luck. Sounds like a great plan
Thanks love! lots of *hugs*
That sounds so positive. Wishing you lots of luck and hoping that this cycle will go well. Great that you have a few things to consider / try, hopefully they will make the difference.
Yeah! Thank you! xx
Sounds like you have loads going on! Hope that it does the trick! Xx
Me too!!! Lol, I can’t believe I remembered most of what he said without note taking.
I have been following your blog for a while now and just wanted to say I am really impressed at how you are bouncing back and ready to go into the fight again! I really hope number 4 is the one for you… I am still in my first cycle stimulation wise but have had 3 transfers so far with nothing to show and the disappointment/ lack of explanation is really getting to me… Wishing you the best of luck xxx
Thank you so much! The more I think about it the more I’m trusting the process. I would love for number 4 to work but I have to remind myself that it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t. I just followed your blog now too so I can cheer you on! Wishing you everything of the best with your cycle! xx
That sounds like a really healthy attitude… I wish I could have a bit more faith in the process too, but am finding it hard… I have slowly become a bit better at reminding myself its not the end of the world and that does help! Now its summer here I am at least finding it easier to distract myself with fun activities. Thanks for following and here’s to cheering each other on 🙂
It comes and goes, I wouldn’t trust it :). But I cling to the good days like crazy and I just ride the wave of the shitty days. They’re as important as the good days. What makes it easier for me is the fact that we have a few rounds on insurance, thankfully. If we get to our last round then I’ll need a new plan for coping :).
Hopefully you won’t have to get to your last round! That’s amazing your insurance covers it 🙂 Unfortunately our insurance doesn’t cover anything in Cyprus which makes me angry at times, but I am used to it now!
A break sounds amazing – the end of the school year is already rough enough. Yay for feeling good about this next attempt!
I just put in my PTO for the time off so I’m even more excited now lol
I’m with you about not wanting to rock the boat with my current RE. I do like mine too and I want it to work with her! I want to experience success with her, but there’s this nagging feeling I have to just ask someone else what they think because I know I’m at the end. I honestly think we’ll just decide to go back to my RE because it’s safer, cheaper and the best option for me in the end. I admire your determination to keep at it! This things come from this attitude! God luck and enjoy your time off.
This really makes me feel better about my decision. I have a tiny nagging feeling but I don’t feel that it’s absolutely necessary right now.
Glad you have a timeline and most things look good to go. Lots of options to consider!
As for fragile x, I don’t know a ton about it but I was also tested for it. Women with premature ovarian failure (and early DOR) are more likely to have some components of fragile x and thus poorer egg quality. And even if one tests positive for it there are ranges of how much it affects an individual. Sorry I don’t have more info!
That sounds like all the info I need! Thank you. I was wondering if it had to do with egg quality.
I’m glad to hear you’re comfortable with the next steps and that you get a break for a little while. Back to back treatments can be so hard, especially when it’s as involved as ivf is. Praying round 4 is your lucky round!!!
Thank you! Yes. I had a year break in between 1 and 2 and diving right into 3 was overwhelming but I’m only realizing it now that I’m not diving into 4. I feel very relieved.
Love this update. Lots of good steps forward and a really solid plan – that always helps so much!
If you’re gut says no to a second opinion at this time, then I second it’s for a good reason and if/when it changes it sounds like you’ll be totally fine with doing it.
As for donor sperm, you’re thinking one more round with bits of you and your DH then using a donor? That makes sense, best of both worlds!
Yes, husband is not ready to hear the words donor sperm just yet. So we’re just hoping it doesn’t come to that.