We had the follow up appointment today. I think it went well and I’m ready to tackle this next round. We decided to start up again in July because my parents are coming to visit in June (they’ll likely be here for a stims in July. That’ll be nice for them to experience the process. I’ll make them do my shots lol) and then I also have 5 days of PTO that I need to take before they expire at the end of June. We’re still not sure where to go. I want to go somewhere up north (Maine/New Hampshire) that’s quiet and secluded. Maybe near a lake. Just the two of us. Do any of you perhaps have any recommendations?
I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a second opinion. I’m still on the fence. This appointment went so well and I really do trust my RE. The only other person that has been recommended to me is another RE at the same clinic but I’m having a serious attack of conscience re: not wanting to hurt my RE’s feelings. How ridiculous is that? I really love my clinic so don’t want to switch anyway so this new RE has been at the back of my mind for a few days. Also, N isn’t keen on leaving our RE just yet either. He believes in him. So I’ve decided to stick with Dr G just one more round. Especially after today’s appointment. And if I change my mind after doing some reading and getting opinions I’ll have most of June to get a second opinion. Anyway, onto the appointment. I’ll do bullet points like I did with everyone else.
1. We’re going to do the Microdose Lupron Flare protocol
. Or Microflare or Flare or whatever. He said he’s taking the gloves off and wants to try to get 18-20 eggs out of me. I’m excited about the prospect of getting that many eggs but let’s see what happens. I’m not going to get my hopes up too high. I thought he was pushing my E2 before at around 2000+ but he said we can go up to 5000 since we’re doing a freeze all. Whoop! In the past I haven’t felt too many crazy symptoms from stimming but I think I should prepare myself for crazy town. Now I haven’t read much about this protocol so if anyone has done this or knows someone who has, do you have any information please?
2. I did repeat bloods last weekend and all my results fell within normal range. I did, however, notice my antral follicle count was only 10. That bummed me out. But he said that my TSH came back at 2.66 and they want it at 2.5 or below. He said any other doctor wouldn’t give this another thought but since we’re trying to get pregnant he’d rather it be within range. They tested again today and if it’s still above 2.5 then I’ll get some meds during stims to help. Again, I know nothing about thyroid stuff. I wonder if my shitty diet has something to do with it.
3. He did bring up donor sperm. He said it’s going to be harder for us because of my sub-par eggs and N’s sperm but he’ll only seriously suggest donor sperm if we’re sick of all these failures. But if we’re in it for the long haul then so is he but he has to let us know that donor sperm is an option. I’m not opposed to any donor of any kind but I’d like to exhaust all our options first.
4. I can’t remember why we did this but he tested me for Fragile X today as well. I think it has something to do with embryo or egg quality and Fragile X being a reason. I’m not sure but we tested for it anyway.
5. I asked him about clomid for N to get his count up and he said he’s not opposed to it but N would have to get a prescription from a urologist. We’ll set that appointment up soon. Another reason to take a break. I have a feeling clomid only works after 3 months but let’s see what a urologist says.
6. I asked about PICSI an he sent and email to the embryologist for their opinion. I’m going to push for this. I read that it only increases live pregnancy rates by 15% but it’s 15% we didn’t have before.
7. And lastly, my pesky little cyst is a non-issue. Yay!
And there you have it. I’m excited for round 4 but I’m also excited for the break. Work is going to be pumping since it’s the end of the school year, so I’m glad there’s no IVF to distract me. I feel like it’s going to be over in a blink so that’s even more exciting.
Today I feel good about this appointment. I feel good about this protocol. I feel good about taking a break. I feel good about N being eager to try clomid (or anything for that matter).
I feel good.